Maternal Fetal Services: Obstetric and Fetal Anesthesia
What is the Colorado Fetal Care Center?
- Children’s Hospital Colorado and University of Colorado Hospital jointly established a national referral center for patients with complex pregnancies in 2011. The Colorado Fetal Care Center (CFCC) offers integrated maternal, fetal, and neonatal care for families with a known or suspected fetal anomaly.
- On our unit, we provide interventions and treatment for fetal anomalies in-utero, at the time of delivery, or within a few days postpartum.
- Staffed by experienced maternal fetal medicine physicians, fetal surgeons, pediatric specialists and anesthesiologists, our unit provides cutting edge care for fetuses and families all in one location.
- We are one of thirty-nine centers worldwide with a Center for Excellence in Obstetric Anesthesiology designation from the Society of Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology.
- Your anesthesiologist is a doctor (MD or DO) and is physically present at the center at all times to care for you. We are part of a small team with expertise in obstetric and fetal anesthesia and analgesia.
What services are offered at the CFCC?
- A family-centered, multi-disciplinary approach to prenatal evaluation and diagnosis. Your care team will involve maternal fetal medicine specialists, fetal and pediatric surgeons, fetal cardiologists, neonatologists, psychologists, genetic experts and fetal radiologists with input from other specialists as needed.
- Fetal procedures performed in-utero or at the time of delivery. These may include fetoscopic procedures for twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS), open fetal procedures for myelomeningocele (MMC) repair, and ex-utero intrapartum treatment (EXIT) procedures, among others.
- Obstetric services, including labor and delivery, C-sections and post-partum recovery.
- Close coordination with our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) and Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU) to provide care for your baby immediately after delivery.
- Please see the CFCC website for more details.
What anesthesia services are offered at the CFCC?
- Epidurals for pain relief during labor.
- Spinal anesthesia (numbing medicine) or general anesthesia (being asleep) for cesarean delivery.
- Sedation or general anesthesia for fetal procedures.