Perioperative Management of Liver Transplantation for the Anesthesiologist

The University of Colorado Anesthesiology offers a one-year non-ACGME Liver Transplant Anesthesiology Fellowship. The training will provide advanced knowledge, skills, and clinical experience in the perioperative care of liver transplant recipients, hepatic resection, major caval reconstruction and the management of live liver donors/recipients. The program meets current core competencies and milestones endorsed by the Society for the Advancement of Transplant Anesthesia (SATA) for liver transplant fellowship training. The training program aims to integrate the fellow into the multidisciplinary transplant team and includes work time with core and adjunct services (e.g., hepatology, transplant surgery, intensive care medicine, nutrition, renal medicine, transfusion medicine and echocardiography).

We currently offer two positions each year, to physicians who have both completed subspecialty training in Anesthesiology and are eligible for a Colorado medical license. The position is a hybrid junior faculty/fellow program with 60% of a fellow’s time spent in specific fellowship training with the remaining 40% working as a junior attending.

The Department of Anesthesiology at the University of Colorado is a large academic department with more than 100 clinical and research faculty and is located in Aurora, just outside the city limits of Denver proper. We undertake around 150 liver and more than 200 kidney transplants annually. The University of Colorado also has an expanding living liver donor program.

Our transplant anesthesia faculty actively participate in formal education, research, quality improvement, and hospital administration. Specific details of the one-year curriculum are available through links on this page.

For any additional information or questions about the program, please feel free to contact the fellowship director directly:

Adrian Hendrickse, BM MMEd FRCA
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology
Fellowship Program Director, Liver Transplantation Anesthesiology Fellowship
Department of Anesthesiology
University of Colorado School of Medicine
Office: 720-848-7820

Anesthesiology (SOM)

CU Anschutz

Leprino Building

12401 East 17th Avenue

7th Floor

Aurora, CO 80045

CMS Login