MetaLARC - A Community-based Assessment of Skin Care, Allergies, and Eczema (CASCADE): A multi-PBRN trial comparing daily application of emollients to infants’ skin to usual care for prevention of eczema. Entering the follow-up phase and reviewing charts
Meta-LARC - Advance Care Planning (ACP) in Primary Care: This project will test use of Serious Illness Care Program (SICP) for completion of advance care planning in appropriate older adults. SICP will be implemented in practices recruited through the PBRN, and the practices will be randomly assigned to a provider arm or an interdisciplinary care team arm. Entering follow-up phase to track patients.
Home vs. Office Medication Effectiveness Research (HOMER): Home vs. Office induction for MAT for OUD. Start May 1, 2020 with SNOCAP and AAFP’s NRN. (Jan ’21 update: post-holidays, the biggest focus is practice recruitment.)
Patient-perception of primary care practice Burnout Card Study: This study aims to primarily investigate the patients’ perspective of primary care staff burnout, and secondarily to address self-reported levels of burnout among said staff. Recruiting 5 more practices as of April 2021.
Invested in Diabetes: (PCORI funded; PEACHnet included). Shared Medical Appointments with and without multidisciplinary care teamsand patient topic choice for improving patient-centered and clinical outcomes related to diabetes. (Jan ’21 update: There’s been a lot of adaptation considerations. Really proud of practices ability to transition to virtual shared appointments. Thinking/hoping this is all worth it, because they are hearing positive response from patients.)
Facilitating Alcohol Screening and Treatment (FAST): In this project we will perform a cluster randomized trial to examine effectiveness and relative value of two approaches to supporting primary care practices to improve their identification and treatment of unhealthy alcohol use among adults, including screening, brief intervention, medication assisted therapy, and referral to treatment. (Jan ’21 update: overall going well, initial practices are getting to completion stage. Back to recruitment soon after few months halt. Practices that are interested in SBIRT plus MAT for alcohol issues.)
Bionic Pancreas System: screening protocol to continuing to move work forward. Enrolling those with T1D, but also hoping to recruit some with T2D as well. Also working on a pilot for T2D in primary care.
P50 NCI Cancer Center Grant (COISC3): Pragmatic implementation science approaches to assess and enhance the value of cancer prevention and control in rural primary care. Alzheimer’s supplement. Advisory board is being created, Sterling community member agreed to participate.
Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM): Helmsley funded, survey for clinician. Done with this project, working on survey review.
Innovation Support Project (ISP): Working with ~80 practices carrying on with SIM work, slightly modified, practice facilitation support, Medicaid practices mainly. Update: working with HCPF to try to use this as a way to try out pilot projects, with their payment model design folks.
UPSTREAM! Together: UPSTREAM! Together is an opportunity for three Colorado communities to help close the gap between what can be done and what is being done to prevent mental, emotional, and behavioral (MEB) problems and prepare to prevent a local priority problem through partnerships and the mobilization of necessary assets.
Alzheimer’s/dementia, caregiver burden: The group is still very interested in learning more about Alzheimer’s, dementia, and how caregivers work to deal with the enormous tasks of caring for loved ones. (If you have any connections to current or future work in this area, please contact Mary Fisher.)
1. PIVOT with MI: The overall goal of this project is to evaluate the impact of a novel and innovative provider communication strategy on vaccine acceptance among vaccine-hesitant parents. 12 practices in CO, 12 practices in Washington. Difficulties in adapting the video-recorded visit piece of intervention.
2. Disparities in Rural Adolescent Vaccination (with PEACHnet): Engage key stakeholders with providers and researchers to develop and evaluate the impact of a novel and innovative intervention strategy for improving the uptake of HPV vaccine in the primary care setting. Update: Completed all BCTs and launching interventions in all communities.
3. Motivational Interviewing for Maternal Immunizations (MI4MI):This study will train obstetrician-gynecologists (ob-gyns) in motivational interviewing techniques to see if these techniques can be adapted to the ob-gyn setting to improve immunization rates among pregnant women. (Jan ’21 update: over half-way through intervention phase with 5 OB/midwife practices).
1. Increasing Understanding of Food Insecurity (IUFI): Colorado Evaluation and Action Lab-funded work, exploring ways to improve understandings of food insecurity and how to assist food insecure families, among education and medical practice staff.
2. Community Opioid Treatment Strategy (COTS) BCT:BCT looking at both MAT and stigma in the Roaring Fork Valley, started Oct 2020. (Jan ’21 update: working to schedule second half-day meeting with group to discuss stigma further.)
3. HPV Vaccination BCT: Test the efficacy of BCT for its ability to result in the development of effective strategies, products and implementation plans that increase adolescent vaccination in rural Western Colorado
4. SPUR: Suicide Prevention-Unified Research in Western Colorado:PCORI Eugene Washington Engagement Award:Bringing partners together to discuss youth suicide prevention priority topic area.
5. IMAGINE (Improving Messaging Around Gaps In Needs and rEferrals): SIREN/RWJF-funded, testing ways of introducing social determinants of health screening to patients, and their acceptance of assistance with resources.