Joshua Johnson, PhD
Divisions of Reproductive Sciences & Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
PhD in Biology (2002), Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ.
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Vincent Center for Reproductive Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA.
Research Complex 2
12700 East 19th Avenue
Room 3450D, MS 8613
Aurora, CO 80045
Phone: (303) 724-7281
Fax: (303) 724-3512
Dr. Johnson's research program focuses on the control of oocyte number inside the ovary, primarily in mammals, but also in the fruit fly model organism. We are currently focused on mechanisms that support oocyte quality--the ability to give rise to a healthy offspring--and those that lead to oocyte loss, due to 'normal' aging and in the context of human premature ovarian failure (POF). To maximize his clinical/ translation acumen, Dr. Johnson was trained and worked part-time as an embryologist in the Yale IVF Center. Now, our primary mission is to better understand the function of the ovary so we can first identify women whose ovaries are at risk of failing or who will have trouble conceiving, and one day intervene to protect fertility and organ function.
Full List of Publications
- Guerra DD, Bok R, Cari EL, Nicholas C, Orlicky DJ, Johnson J, Hurt KJ. Effect of neuronal nitric oxide synthase serine-1412 phosphorylation on hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian function and leptin response. Biol Reprod. 2020 Feb 26. PMID: 32101284.
- Zolbin MM, Ersoy GS, Aliakbari F, Amidi F, Daghigh F, Abbasi M, Johnson J. Basal characterization and in vitro differentiation of putative stem cells derived from the adult mouse ovary. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 2020 Jan; 56(1):59-66. PMID: 31900800.
- Reig A, Mamillapalli R, Coolidge A, Johnson J, Taylor HS. Uterine Cells Improved Ovarian Function in a Murine Model of Ovarian Insufficiency. Reprod Sci. 2019 12; 26(12):1633-1639. PMID: 31530098.
- Balakrishnan B, Siddiqi A, Mella J, Lupo A, Li E, Hollien J, Johnson J, Lai K. Salubrinal enhances eIF2a phosphorylation and improves fertility in a mouse model of Classic Galactosemia. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Basis Dis. 2019 11 01; 1865(11):165516. PMID: 31362041.
- Santoro N, Johnson J. Diagnosing the Onset of Menopause. JAMA. 2019 Jul 22. PMID: 31329213.
- Chen Y, Wang J, Fan Y, Qin C, Xia X, Johnson J, Kallen AN. Absence of the long noncoding RNA H19 results in aberrant ovarian STAR and progesterone production. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2019 06 15; 490:15-20. PMID: 30922932.
- Bauer JL, Kuhn K, Bradford AP, Al-Safi ZA, Harris MA, Eckel RH, Robledo CY, Malkhasyan A, Johnson J, Gee NR, Polotsky AJ. Reduction in FSH Throughout the Menstrual Cycle After Omega-3 Fatty Acid Supplementation in Young Normal Weight but not Obese Women. Reprod Sci. 2019 08; 26(8):1025-1033. PMID: 30773100.
- Qin C, Xia X, Fan Y, Jiang Y, Chen Y, Zhang N, Uslu B, Johnson J, Kallen AN. A novel, noncoding-RNA-mediated, post-transcriptional mechanism of anti-Mullerian hormone regulation by the H19/let-7 axis. Biol Reprod. 2019 01 01; 100(1):101-111. PMID: 30137224.
- Balakrishnan B, Nicholas C, Siddiqi A, Chen W, Bales E, Feng M, Johnson J, Lai K. Reversal of aberrant PI3K/Akt signaling by Salubrinal in a GalT-deficient mouse model. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Basis Dis. 2017 12; 1863(12):3286-3293. PMID: 28844959.
- Uslu B, Dioguardi CC, Haynes M, Miao DQ, Kurus M, Hoffman G, Johnson J. Quantifying growing versus non-growing ovarian follicles in the mouse. J Ovarian Res. 2017 Jan 13; 10(1):3. PMID: 28086947.