health worker in a patient room

International Scholars

Assistance with F-1 student and J-1 student and scholar visa status is available from the International Student an​d Scholar Services​ (ISSS), part of the Office of International Affairs. The office is located at the Downtown Denver Campus, Lawrence Street Center, 9th floor. There is also a satellite office on the Anschutz Medical Campus.

Call 303-315-2230 for an appointment in either office to discuss the services that ISSS staff can provide for international students and scholars.

International students on F-1 or J-1 student visas are required to be registered full-time for two semesters per year. Full-time for undergraduate students is twelve (12) semester hours; full-time for most graduate students is five (5) semester hours.

UC Denver is authorized by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to issue I-20 forms and by the U.S. Department of State (DOS) to issue DS-2019 forms. These forms permit international students to apply for the appropriate visa to study at UCD. UCD is also required by the Department of Homeland Security to report the immigration, registration, and demographic status of all international students and J-1 scholars on a regular basis.

International students who are enrolled in a course of study at UC Denver and international J-1 scholars who are visiting the campus must visit ISSS in person upon arrival at UC Denver to check in.

International students and J-1 scholars are required to notify ISSS in person before making any changes in enrollment or immigration status, such as adding or dropping courses, changing degree level, applying for work authorization, changing a place of residence, changing positions, or applying for a change in immigration status.

International students who are enrolled at UC Denver on F-1 or J-1 student visas issued by ISSS, or international visitors on J-1 scholar visas issued by ISSS, who plan to leave the U.S. and re-enter to resume their program at UC Denver, will need to bring their SEVIS Form I-20 or SEVIS Form DS-2019 to International Student and Scholar Services for signature before departing the country.