Glucose Management Team
The inpatient Glucose Management Team (GMT) at the University of Colorado Hospital has grown by leaps and bounds since it was started in 2008 by Dr. Boris Draznin. The team now includes 8 members: Dr. Cecilia C. Low Wang (Director), Stacey Seggelke, R. Matthew Hawkins, Joanna Gibbs, Mark Lindsay, Beth Tupta, Svitlana Crawley and Jennifer Trujillo. Poor glycemic control in the hospital setting is associated with worse clinical outcomes, and the mission of the UCH GMT is to help inpatient clinical departments improve outcomes through better glycemic control. In many patients, management of inpatient diabetes and/or stress hyperglycemia can be complex with many changing factors and the need for close monitoring and adjustment of glycemic regimens. In addition to providing direct patient care through consults and follow-up visits in the hospital, the Glucose Management Team helps to educate fellows, housestaff, and advanced practice students in inpatient glycemic management, and is involved in clinical research and quality improvement initiatives.
The Glucose Management Team works with providers and teams across University Hospital. The team is an integral part of a task force to obtain a Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Certificate of Distinction for Inpatient Diabetes Care.
Selected publications involving the UCH GMT:
- Draznin B, Wang Y, Seggelke S, Hawkins RM, Gibbs J, Bridenstine M, Rasouli N, Wang CL. Glycemic
control and outcomes of hospitalization in noncritically ill patients
with type 2 diabetes admitted with cardiac problems or infections. Endocr Pract. 2014 Dec;20(12):1303-8. doi: 10.4158/EP14174.OR. PMID: 25100383.
- Seggelke SA, Hawkins RM, Gibbs J, Rasouli N, Wang C, Draznin B. Transitional
care clinic for uninsured and medicaid-covered patients with diabetes
mellitus discharged from the hospital: a pilot quality improvement
study. Hosp Pract (1995). 2014 Feb;42(1):46-51. doi: 10.3810/hp.2014.02.1091. PMID: 24566596.
- Draznin B, Gilden J, Golden SH, Inzucchi SE; PRIDE investigators,
Baldwin D, Bode BW, Boord JB, Braithwaite SS, Cagliero E, Dungan KM,
Falciglia M, Figaro MK, Hirsch IB, Klonoff D, Korytkowski MT, Kosiborod
M, Lien LF, Magee MF, Masharani U, Maynard G, McDonnell ME, Moghissi
ES, Rasouli N, Rubin DJ, Rushakoff RJ, Sadhu AR, Schwartz S, Seley JJ,
Umpierrez GE, Vigersky RA, Low CC, Wexler DJ. Pathways to quality inpatient management of hyperglycemia and diabetes: a call to action. Diabetes Care. 2013 Jul;36(7):1807-14. doi: 10.2337/dc12-2508. PMID: 23801791
- Low Wang CC, Draznin B. Practical approach to management of inpatient hyperglycemia in select patient populations. Hosp Pract (1995). 2013 Apr;41(2):45-53. doi: 10.3810/hp.2013.04.1025. Review. PMID: 23680736
- Rasouli N, Seggelke S, Gibbs J, Hawkins RM, Casciano ML, Cohlmia E, Taylor-Cousar J, Wang C, Pereira R, Hsia E, Draznin B. Cystic fibrosis-related diabetes in adults: inpatient management of 121 patients during 410 admissions. J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2012 Sep 1;6(5):1038-44. PMID: 23063029
- Hsia E, Seggelke S, Gibbs J, Hawkins RM, Cohlmia E, Rasouli N, Wang C, Kam I, Draznin B. Subcutaneous administration of glargine to diabetic patients receiving insulin infusion prevents rebound hyperglycemia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012 Sep;97(9):3132-7. doi: 10.1210/jc.2012-1244. Epub 2012 Jun 8. PMID: 22685233
- Hsia E, Seggelke SA, Gibbs J, Rasouli N, Draznin B. Comparison
of 70/30 biphasic insulin with glargine/lispro regimen in
non-critically ill diabetic patients on continuous enteral nutrition
therapy. Nutr Clin Pract. 2011 Dec;26(6):714-7. doi: 10.1177/0884533611420727. PMID: 22205560
- Seggelke SA, Gibbs J, Draznin B. Pilot
study of using neutral protamine Hagedorn insulin to counteract the
effect of methylprednisolone in hospitalized patients with diabetes. J Hosp Med. 2011 Mar;6(3):175-6. doi: 10.1002/jhm.874. PMID: 21387555