Applications are accepted from graduates of United States and Canadian medical schools (MD and DO) and equivalent international medical schools.
To ensure that the process for selecting residents is consistent with guidelines established by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and the University of Colorado Denver Graduate Medical Education Committee (GME), and to be compliant with University policies, appropriate federal and state statutes and regulations, this program has the following eligibility requirements.
1. The University of Colorado School of Medicine recognized that residents are trainees, not employees. As such, applicants much be able to meet conditions of the institutional house-officer (resident) training agreement and must be U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, refugees, asylees, or possess the appropriate documentation to allow residents to legally train at the CU School of Medicine.
2. Applicants must possess sufficient command of English to permit accurate and unimpeded communication.
3. Applicants must provide documentation of the following:
4. Applicants must be eligible for either a physician training license or an active and unrestricted physician medical license as granted by the Colorado Medical Board.
5. Applicants must successfully pass a criminal background investigation (criteria specified in University of Colorado Denver and GMEC background investigation policies) and any affiliated training facility background investigation as necessary.
6. Applicants for PGY-1 positions must be no more than 3 years past their graduation date from medical school.
7. Applicants for PGY-2 positions (if currently available) and above must be currently active in the practice of medicine, either in an accredited training program or in clinical practice.
8. Applicants from medical school outside of the United States or Canada must have relevant US clinical training experience.
9. There is no minimum USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX Level 1 score requirement. However, passing scores must be obtained in no more than two attempts. Original transcripts must be provided.
10. Successful completion of USMLE Step 2 (CS & CK) or COMLEX Level 2 (CE & CP) is required to start the program. Passing scores must be obtained within two attempts. Original transcripts must be submitted by May 1.
A Resident Selection Committee for each training program evaluates all eligible applicants. Applicants are evaluated on the basis of their preparedness and experience; academic credentials; ability and aptitude; communication and interpersonal skills; and on personal qualities such as integrity, learning motivation, and work ethic, and the ability to function within parameters expected of a practitioner in the specialty.
To determine the appropriate level of training for applicants wishing to transfer from another training program, the program director must receive written verification of previous training experiences and a statement from the resident’s current program director regarding the performance evaluation of the transferring resident prior to acceptance into the program.
Programs will review and select applicants in a manner consistent with provisions of equal opportunity employment and must not discriminate with regard to sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability or any other applicable legally protected status.
2. All applications must include the following:
Applicants are responsible for requesting all supporting documentation above.
On site interviews with program faculty and current residents are scheduled after applicants have been selected to interview. Because there are differences in residency programs and the individual applicant’s personal goals for training, it is essential that each applicant interview in person on site. A full day of interviews, tours, and informal contact with current residents is scheduled.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, we are unable to interview everyone. The Selection Committee will review your application, and we will notify you if you have been selected to interview.