Pediatric Residency Program - How to Apply
We seek applicants who are excited about pediatrics, work and play well with others, are intelligent and accomplished. Applicants who bring diverse experiences and backgrounds with a wide range of interests will thrive here. We are especially interested in those who will become leaders in one or more of the many areas of academic pediatrics: medical care, laboratory or clinical research, teaching, patient advocacy, public policy, or global
2021-2022 Application Season Update:
Our interview days will be conducted virtually. More details coming soon.
We are working hard to develop new programming so that we can share our residency with you and get to know you! Please reach out to us with any questions, concerns, or ideas. We look forward to meeting you!
Applications are accepted through the Electronic Residency Application Service, and we participate in the National Residency Match Program. The NRMP program code for the Categorical Pediatrics program is 1076320C0.
When applying to the University of Colorado Pediatric Residency Program, please consider the following requirements:
Your ERAS application must include the following minimum requirements:
- Dean's Letter or MSPE
- Medical School Transcript
- Personal Statement
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation. A maximum of 4 are acceptable, however we do not require a Letter from your Chair of Pediatrics.
- USMLE Step I or COMLEX Scores
- Successful scores on USMLE Step II are required by the mid-point of the intern (PL1) year, but are not required to apply or interview for a position.
October 1, 2021 is our application deadline. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered if received after this date.
will be held virtually on Monday afternoons and Thursday and Friday
mornings, November through January. We will limit the number of
candidates per day to provide a more personal
once weekly virtual social event will occur so applicants will have the
opportunity to meet with residents on a more casual level. Details
will be sent to you once your interview date
Physician-Scientist Interview Days
offer interview opportunities more specifically geared toward
physician-scientists. Applicants interested in careers that involve
basic science or translational research will participate
in a regular interview day, but will have the additional opportunity to
meet with research faculty on their interview day to discuss mutual
research interests and learn more about the research community on our
informational sessions with faculty and current physician-scientist
residents in our program will occur in November and December:
Diversity in Pediatrics Committee (DIPC) Visiting Student Stipend
The University of Colorado’s School of Medicine and the Children’s Hospital Colorado believe that diversity is a value that is central to their educational, research, service and health care missions. The Diversity In Pediatrics Committee’s (DIPC) mission is to recruit and support diverse pediatric residents, to better reflect the community we serve, and to increase cultural competency in the health care workforce; all while fostering a program culture that promotes and values diversity.
As part of this mission, the DIPC “Commitment to the Medically Underserved Externship Stipend” was designed to help offset the costs of an away externship rotation for fourth year medical students interested in caring for medically underserved pediatric populations in Colorado and increase the exposure that medical students have.
here the link to the website: DIPC Medically Underserved Externship Stipend
Are you Interested in Doing an Externship in Colorado
Our fourth year student program welcomes students from over 130 LCME accredited medical schools from across the U.S. and like most medical schools, we use the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS), which is an online application service developed by the AAMC for senior "away" electives. Please check with your institution to see if they use this service. In order to register for a rotation with our program, you will need to submit a request through VSAS.
Our rotations for visiting students in Colorado will begin August 23rd
Both Allopathic and Osteopathic students are encouraged to apply
CU does have an underrepresented minority (URM) scholarship program for interested candidates
Any applicant who applies to VSAS also needs to complete our supplemental application form below.
Link: University of Colorado Externship Supplemental Application
We welcome and encourage all who are interested to apply to our program. We carefully review all complete applications for consideration of an interview offer. In the midst of a global pandemic, the selection committee will be understanding and flexible with the impact of the pandemic and delays and challenges with obtaining ECFMG certification and in-person clinical experiences.
- Applicants must be ECFMG certified by our application deadline. If, due to the pandemic, applicants cannot meet this deadline, they need to be ECFMG certified as soon as possible.
- Applicants must demonstrate excellent spoken and written English as well as the ability to work in a modern, complex medical center.
- The University of Colorado sponsors J1 visas through the Graduate Medical Education Office and the ECFMG. In some situations, we’ll consider sponsoring H1B visas. Applicants must pass USMLE Step 3 prior to the ROL deadline to be considered for an H1B.
- We expect international medical graduates to have exceptional academic records and to have at least 4 months of prior clinical experience at an accredited US or Canadian medical center, preferably involving inpatient pediatrics.
- In most cases they will have completed at least 4 months of hands-on clinical training in the US, preferably involving inpatient pediatrics.
- Letters of recommendation must be from attending physicians who have supervised the applicant in a clinical setting and are especially useful if they are from pediatric physicians who have themselves had experience in the US.
We do not have specific criteria so emails inquiring about IMG status will not be answered due to workload involved.