DIPC Extern Stipend (not available 2020)
The University of Colorado’s School of Medicine and the Children’s Hospital Colorado believe that diversity is a value that is central to their educational, research, service and health care missions. The Diversity In Pediatrics Committee’s
(DIPC) mission is to recruit and support diverse pediatric residents, to better reflect the community we serve, and to increase cultural competency in the health care workforce; all while fostering a program culture that promotes and values diversity.
As part of this mission, the DIPC “Commitment to the Medically Underserved Externship Stipend” was designed to help offset the costs of an away externship rotation for fourth year medical students interested in caring for medically underserved
pediatric populations in Colorado and increase the exposure that medical students have.
Unique Program Highlights
- In addition to their assigned rotation, scholars have the opportunity for an immersion experience in an outpatient underserved clinic
- Additional unique experiences can also be crafted to meet the scholar’s interests
- Each scholar will have an assigned resident mentor and also a faculty advisor to assist with connecting with the greater University of Colorado and Denver/Aurora community
Any medical student attending a United States medical school (allopathic or osteopathic), other than the University of Colorado School of Medicine, who will be a fourth-year student at the time of their externship at the Children's Hospital Colorado
is eligible to apply for this stipend.
Applicants shall meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrated commitment to serving the medically underserved
- Successful completion of Core Pediatrics rotation
- Successful completion of USMLE Part 1
- Intention to apply to the University of Colorado Children’s Hospital Pediatric Residency Training Program, or any of the combined Pediatrics residency training programs (Peds-Neuro, Peds- Rehab, etc.) offered through the University of Colorado.
Stipends of $2500 will be awarded to students who meet the above criteria and have demonstrated a commitment to caring for the medically underserved through a competitive process. The funds will be distributed in one disbursement to the award recipient
at the start of the externship experience.
As part of the externship experience, stipend recipients will be assigned to a weekly ½ day clinic at a location which serves the medically underserved population of metro Denver. In addition, the recipient will be assigned a resident mentor
for the duration of their externship rotation.
- Complete applications must be postmarked no later than 2 months prior to externship start date.
- Applications will begin to be accepted starting in May of the academic year prior to the desired externship.
- PLEASE NOTE: you must still apply via VSAS for the actual externship at the University
of Colorado School of Medicine. The “Commitment to the Medically Underserved Extern Stipend” is only a financial award to support the cost of being away from home, as well as an enhancement to the extern experience (with the supplemental
clinics, etc.). For more information, please contact us (see below) or visit the Department of Pediatrics 4th year student website.
The following should be sent in one complete postal mail packet or via a single email (contact information below):
- Completed application Form (not taking applications at this time)
- Two Short Answer Essays (500 words or less)
- Curriculum Vitae / Resume
- Letter of Recommendation from your Pediatric Clerkship Director (must be sent separately)
- Confirmation from your medical school that you have successfully completed your Core Pediatric rotation and USMLE Part 1. This may be in the form of an official transcript, a letter from your pediatric chair or clerkship director, or incorporated
into your Letter of Recommendation (may be sent separately or with application packet).
Short Answer Essays
The applicant shall provide two short answer essays (each 500 words or less) answering the following questions.
- Describe your personal experiences and/or experiences in your training that have led you to appreciate the difficulties faced by the medically underserved population/communities. How do you foresee caring for the underserved in your future practice?
- Why are you interested in an externship at the University of Colorado/Children’s Hospital Colorado?
Submit Completed Packet & Letter of Recommendation To:
DIPC@childrenscolorado.org or mail to:
Children’s Hospital Colorado
Attn: Brandi Freeman, MD, MS
13123 E. 16th Avenue, B065
Aurora, CO 80045
For additional information, you may visit our Diversity and Inclusion website, or contact the Resident Diversity Committee at: DIPC@childrenscolorado.org
You will be notified of the status of your application via email. If you have questions about your application, or if there is a status change in your externship rotation application, please contact us at the email above.
Note: the stipend application process is completely independent from the externship application process. Semi-finalist status for the stipend does not guarantee the student will be offered an externship spot. Students must be accepted to do an externship
at The University of Colorado School of Medicine in order to have their stipend award status finalized.