Our program and leadership truly care about you as an individual and emphasize wellness throughout your training time. Our program is a tight-knit community and residents and faculty are invested in each other’s well-being and success both within and outside of the residency program. In addition to the wellness initiatives that are led by the categorical programs, Med-Peds residents and faculty lead our own wellness committee.
- Wellness Committee: Throughout the year the committee organizes different activities that focus on important topics like burnout, resilience, and mental health. We also incorporate “wellness hikes” into our Academic Half Day sessions. Throughout the year the committee and leadership find different ways of expressing gratitude and appreciation for residents. A few examples include hand-written notes by faculty, thank you notes with gift cards (love a free café!), and surprise texts just to check in on us during hard rotations. These small efforts have a big impact.
- Support and Flexibility: In addition to creating programming around wellness, our program recognizes the importance of time off for personal wellness activities. Our program provides time and space for residents to take care of their own health (and enjoy the 300+ days of sunshine)! The Medicine-Pediatrics Residency Program leadership understands the importance of providing residents with flex time during elective rotations and encourages residents to build their schedule according to their personal priorities. In addition, interns are scheduled for mental health and PCP appointments and given two dedicated mornings or afternoons off to attend to their own health needs. Attendance at appointments is 100% voluntary, so residents also have the option to opt out and use the time at their discretion. Our leadership also recognizes that life happens, and sometimes we may need to step away to take care of personal matters. We feel 100% comfortable texting or calling our leadership at any time to ask for help. This support is so important.
Resident led initiatives:
Med-Peds Family System: In an effort to make sure each resident feels supported throughout their 4 years of training, we pair residents in four families, with a resident from each class. This is another way for us to build community and support within our program. These same families share a panel of patients in resident clinic.
Resident led events:
- “Transition dinner” for the first switch between IM and Peds
- Holiday celebrations/get togethers
- Hospital surprises for residents on-call and birthdays
- Med-Peds annual retreat
- Happy hours, game nights, picnic at the park, and more!
New wellness initiatives for 2022-23:
- Art as Medicine
- Reflection writing sessions during Academic Half Day didactics
- Med-Peds Parent shared resources and events