Our residents lead several initiatives to help the our continuity clinic’s underserved community. Below are a list of our active projects:
- Annual Back to School Drive – Led by Dr. Helena Villalobos. residents work with community organization to gather school supplies and clothes and create a back to school shopping experience for the pediatric patients in our clinic
- Produce Prescription Program – Started by Dr. Amy Beeson, who received a CATCH grant for this work. Now led by Dr. Sutton Higgins and Erika Becerra. Residents identify pediatric patients with obesity and provides the family with a “prescription” and a gift card that can be used to obtained for fresh foods and vegetables only. The program is able to run based on a partnership with the local grocery store across from our continuity clinic.
- Adopt a Refugee Family Christmas event – Led my Dr. Mi Tran. The Denver Health Foundation identifies refugee families that have recently arrived in the United States. Residents adopt 2-3 families per year and reach out to community to raise the funds to buy each member holiday gifts, and organize gift wrapping and delivery events.
- Gun Violence prevention – Led by Dr. Lynne Rosenberg. Residents have organize speaker lectures during meetings by GRASP (Gang Rescue and Support Project), and are working to create a referral process for teens that request help. Also working on project to distribute gun locks in clinic
- Compassionate release letters – Partnership with the Human Rights Clinic. Several of our residents participate in composing letters to advocate for release from detention center for individuals with complex medical conditions that place them at high risk for severe disease if infected with COVID.
- Voter registration drive – Partnership with Vo+ER to facilitate voter registration process for patients during their clinic visit.
- Our residents also volunteer at community outreach events organized by clinic staff such as food for homeless, Wish for Wheels, Annual Christmas Event and more.
- Other activities: book club, movie night, salsa dancing night, advocacy watch updates, and many more.
- Check out our REACH curriculum to learn more about how Advocacy and DEI are integrated within all 4 years of our curriculum.