Med-Peds Visiting Student Externship Award
Diversity and equity are part of the core values of our Med-Peds program as well as the University of Colorado. Part of our program’s mission is to recruit, retain and support residents and faculty from diverse backgrounds in order to build a workforce that reflects the patient populations we serve and that is aware of the impacts of systemic oppression on minorities. This award is meant to offset the costs associated with an away rotation for fourth year medical students from underrepresented backgrounds that will contribute to our institution’s mission of diversity. We recognize many forms of diversity including (but not limited to) race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, religion, nationality, education, and socioeconomic status.
- Any medical student attending a United States medical school (allopathic or osteopathic), other than the University of Colorado School of Medicine, who will be a fourth-year student at the time of their externship is eligible to apply for this award
- Applicants must have intention to apply to the University of Colorado’s Med-Peds residency training programs
- Applicants must have successful completion of Core Pediatrics and Internal Medicine rotations
- Applicants must have successful completion of USMLE Step 1 examination
Award Details and Program Structure
- Three, $1500 and one, $500 awards will be granted to selected students to offset the following expenses: housing (i.e., rent), transportation (i.e., car rental, gas, uber) and food (i.e, groceries (excludes dining out)).
- Please note that students will be asked to submit receipts for the items listed above and will be reimbursed up to $500 or $1500 within three-four weeks after completing the rotation
- Applicants may choose to apply for an away elective under either the Internal Medicine or Pediatrics options
- In addition to their assigned rotations, students will also have the following experiences with the University of Colorado’s Med-Peds program:
- Assigned Med-Peds faculty and resident mentors
- Attend 2-3 clinic sessions at the Med-Peds residency continuity clinic at Federico Pena Family Health Center during the month. We will work with your elective coordinator and supervisor(s) to seek permission.
- Attend the monthly Med-Peds Academic Half Day education session (third Thursday of the month) with residents.
- If interested, participate in any Med-Peds social activities planned during the month.
- The award application process is completely independent from the externship application process. Receipt of this award or completing an away elective rotation at the University of Colorado does not guarantee an invitation to interview with the Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, or Med-Peds residency programs
- Applications will begin to be accepted starting on May 1st of the academic year of the desired externship.
PLEASE NOTE: you must still apply to be a visiting student at the University of Colorado and be approved for the actual externship through the AAMC's Visiting student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) website. This Med-Peds Stipend is only a financial award to support the cost of being away from home, along with the enhancement to your extern experience (with the supplemental clinics, etc.)
- Completed applications must be received no later than 2 months prior to the externship start date.
- Your application will be reviewed when we have received the following:
- Completed Application Form (online submission including uploaded CV/Resume).
- Letter of Recommendation from your Internal Medicine or Pediatric Clerkship Director (online submission or must be sent separately by email to MedPedsProgram@ucdenver.edu)
- Personal narrative: on a Word document, in less than 1000 words, describe your:
- Path to medicine, including any experiences that impacted your decision or activities that bring you joy or inspiration, and
- Personal or professional aspirations, including:
- Career and/or specialty interests
- Interest in being involved in advocacy, health equity, or community engagement activities.
- Interest in doing an away rotation at the University of Colorado
You will be notified of the status of your application via email. If you have questions about your application, or if there is a status change in your externship rotation application, please contact us at MedPedsProgram@ucdenver.edu