Denver Health will become the official clinical home base for the Primary Care program – all primary care trainees will have their continuity clinics based in the Denver Health system and their outpatient clinical focus will live in the Denver Health system as much as possible. This will include an expanded array of exciting ambulatory electives and offerings in Colorado’s primary safety net institution.
Common to all 3 Denver Health primary care resident clinic sites:
- Caring for patients in a Federally Qualified Health Center with level 3 Patient Centered Medical Home distinction. We are able to provide access to the highest quality health care, whether for prevention, or acute and chronic diseases, regardless of ability to pay.
- Diversity in patient populations, including age, ethnicity, and socioeconomic status. There are large Medicaid and Medicare populations and organizational discount savings programs available to uninsured and undocumented patients. Greater than 70% of each clinic’s population lives below the federal poverty level.
- Clinic teaching faculty and leaders who are committed to developing future primary care physicians; in fact each location has a few Primary Care track graduates who have opted to make their careers at Denver Health. There is significant emphasis on developing primary care practices with vulnerable populations. Some faculty at each site have specialized training in buprenorphine prescribing, long acting reversible contraceptive placement, hepatitis C treatment, pre- and post- exposure HIV prophylaxis, and hormone therapy for gender-affirming care, to name a few.
- EPIC electronic medical record for patient care and documentation. Clinicians are able to analyze clinical data in order to improve health outcomes and manage population health.
- Capability of referring patients (including Medicaid and uninsured) to:
- Denver Health medical and surgical subspecialists
- Dental services, Optometry, Physical/Occupational Therapy
- Electronic consulting services are also available for dermatology, endocrinology, rheumatology, and neurology to name a few.
- Integrated care services with on-site ability to do warm hand-offs with behavioral health, social work services, pharmacy, patient care navigators, and certified addiction counselors.
- Ability to refer patients to unique shared Denver Health supported programs: LGBTQ Center of Excellence, Diabetes Prevention Program, Mindfulness Meditation, Healthy Lifestyles Clinic (team-based approach to losing weight).
- On-site laboratory services
- Clinic residents have the opportunity to take the Spanish certification exam, if desired, to communicate independently of interpreter.
Unique aspects of each site:
Eastside Adult Clinic
Located in the historic Five Points area of Denver, Eastside clinic is the oldest community health center west of the Mississippi River and has been caring for generations of families since 1966. Eastside has a traditionally higher African American and formerly incarcerated population. The health center also houses women’s health, pediatric, WIC, early intervention services (HIV), physical therapy, and dental clinics.
Webb Adult Clinic
As a part of Denver Health’s main campus, Webb has the benefit of being centrally located near the hospital. The clinic has same-day access to radiography, ultrasound, and certain labs. Proximity can also drive relationships with nearby subspecialists or clinics, such as the Intensive Outpatient Clinic, which cares for high utilizers of medical care, and the Hospital Transitions Clinic. Webb clinic also serves the most diverse population for refugees and other (non-Spanish) languages of the three clinics.
Westside Adult Clinic
Located just south of Bronco’s Mile High Stadium and established in 1968, Westside provides comprehensive primary care services including women’s health, pediatrics, WIC, and dental clinics. The clinic has an approximately 70% Spanish speaking population and also a notable presence of Vietnamese and Hmong patients. Spanish speaking skills are a plus, but not mandatory. Telephone interpreters for Spanish and many other languages are easily accessible.