Cancer Prevention at the CU Cancer Center
At CU Cancer Center, we believe that the best way to reduce the suffering of cancer is by reducing the chance that people will develop the disease in the first place. We do this in a few ways. One way is by helping people avoid behaviors that can increase cancer risk, like smoking, sun exposure, and obesity. Another way we reduce cancer risk is through screening programs, which in some cases can catch and correct precancerous conditions, and can help catch early cancers at a stage when treatment is more straightforward and successful. Benjamin Franklin said that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. We agree. Our research helps to identify and understand cancer risk factors; our programs help real people make real decisions to give themselves the best possible chance of staying cancer-free.
Colorado Cancer Screening Program (CCSP)
The Colorado Cancer Screening Program (CCSP) is a statewide program that partners with safety net hospitals and clinics to offer no-cost patient navigation services for cancer screening to the medically underserved of Colorado. The program is coordinated through the University of Colorado Cancer Center, with funding support from the Cancer Cardiovascular and Chronic Pulmonary Disease (CCPD) Grants Program.
What services are provided?
- Systems-change assistance for clinics wanting to increase screening for colorectal and lung cancer and those at high risk due to genetics and family history
- No-cost patient navigation
- Free regional trainings to all navigators and community partners
- Clinic outreach and patient support services
- Public education
Patient eligibility criteria for no-cost patient navigation for colorectal screens are as follows:
- Lawfully present Colorado residents eligible for preventive cancer screening based on USPSTF or American Cancer Society Screening Guidelines
- Uninsured, or insured through Medicaid, Medicare, or a private insurance
- Household income at or below 400% of the federal poverty level
- Patient in a partnering clinic