Purpose of Preclerkship Electives
Electives in the first year of medical school supplement the required courses and provide additional experiences that allow for career exploration and support the diverse interests of our students.
Plains Electives in the Trek Curriculum
Resources & Registration Instructions
Electives currently available to students in the first year of medical school
- A broad range of other electives including: Refugee and Immigrant Health, Digital MD: Social Media and Scholarship, and Mindful Living
- Electives for the different tracks – LEADS, Urban Underserved, Global Health, Rural, Research, etc.
- Electives in the first year are NOT required for graduation and the units obtained don’t count toward graduation. Plains electives should supplement the required courses and provide additional experiences that allow for career exploration and support the diverse interests of our students. Remember that your primary goal needs to be focusing on required Plains courses.
- No added tuition to take electives.
- Electives are offered each semester (fall. spring and summer)
- Although each academic semester has a pre-set add/drop deadline, a student may drop an elective without penalty up to 7 days after the first offering of the elective. If this drop occurs before the start date of the course, the student drops the course in Oasis. If the student drops after the start date of the course, they should email SOM.Schedule@ucdenver.edu. If the drop occurs after the standard add/drop period, the student should gain approval from the course director and the Assistant Dean for the Essentials Core.
- Students register for fall electives later in the semester and will start the electives after Compass 1 has concluded.
- Students may not enroll in electives if they are on probation. The promotion committee may elect to limit electives for students on Academic Warning but that is done on a case-by-case basis.