Medical Student Information
The Rheumatology Division has a deep commitment to medical student education
JoAnn Zell, MD
Medical Student Elective Director
Associate Professor of Medicine
Our faculty is involved in teaching medical students at the University of Colorado in several areas:
- Formal Medical School Education: Drs. Jennifer Stichman and JoAnn Zell direct the rheumatology section for the first-year medical school curriculum. This
section includes an overview of rheumatology for first year medical students and small group case-based teaching as well.
- Rheumatology MSIV Clerkship Elective: Our division offers a month-long elective for fourth-year medical students dedicated to rheumatologic training. Directed by
Dr. JoAnn Zell, this elective is available to fourth-year medical students outside the University of Colorado as well. Additional information for outside students may be found on the
medical student website
- Summer Clinical Preceptorships: Clinical and research opportunities exist for medical students in the summer between the MS1 & MS2 years. The clinical experience is headed up by
Dr. Jennifer Stichman. Dr. Kevin Deane and
serve as contacts for potential clinical opportunities.
- Rheumatology interest Group: Currently there is a rheumatology interest group for students with a desire to learn more about our field. This
group organizes meet and greets as well as lectures.
- Foundations Course for Medical Students : Many of our faculty spend one on one time with early medical students through the foundations of medicine programming. This
allows students a longitudinal experience with a preceptor and early exposure to the field of rheumatology.
- Research Training: There are a number of opportunities for medical students to become involved in rheumatology research. Faculty members are involved in basic science, health out comes and quality improvement research. Interested parties should contact Dr. Kevin Deane and Dr. Liron Caplan
For questions, contact Rachael Fuhrman