The Department of Medicine at the University of Colorado consists of almost 850 regular faculty across its 16 Divisions. The Department has close educational and academic affiliations with several medical facilities including a large quaternary referral center, a safety net hospital, Veterans Administration and a private hospital in the HealthOne system. The Department is proud of its rich tradition of excellence in research, clinical care and, especially of our longstanding commitment to medical education.
The Department has a strong commitment to excellence in housestaff education and is committed to providing a dynamic, vibrant environment, responsive to the ever-changing face of medical education. Our housestaff have ample opportunities for not only superior general internal medicine, hospitalist, primary care and critical care education, but also for participation in care of underserved populations, basic and translational research and international health care.
The leadership of our Housestaff Training program features several individuals at all stages of their careers that collectively represent more than 50 years of housestaff educational experience. Our Internal Medicine Residency Training Program is directed by Dr. Geoffrey Connors. Geoff received his undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan, went to medical school at Tulane University, and completed his residency and Chief Medical Residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Colorado. He trained in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at Johns Hopkins, during which time he was engaged in research in autoimmune lung disease. Geoff then spent several years at Yale University where he served as the Associate Director of the Medical ICU, was an Associate Program Director in Internal Medicine, was the Director of Clinical Reasoning for the Medical School and helped create a new resident mentoring program. Geoff received the Arthur P. Gold Award for Humanism and Excellent in Teaching as a resident, was named Teacher of the Year by the Yale Internal Medicine Residents in 2013 (and again in 2016) and received the Francis Gilman Blake Award for Education from the Yale School of Medicine in 2015. Dr. Connors has continued our strong commitment to train future leaders in medicine and build on the many strengths within our program.
David A. Schwartz, MD, Chairman of Medicine
Dr. Connors is assisted by eleven Associate and Assistant Program Directors including:
Associate Program Directors
- Joe Burke, Associate Program Director at Denver Health
- Lisa Davis, Associate Program Director for Research and Innovation
- Dan Heppe, Associate Program Director at the VA
- Julia Limes, Associate Program Director, Co-director of the Hospitalist Training Program
- Adrienne Mann, Associate Program Director at the VA
- Yasmin Sacro, Director for Primary Care Track
- Katie Suddarth, Senior Associate Program Director at UCH
Assistant Program Directors:
- Lindsey Davis, Assistant Program Director for Research and Investigation
- Amira del Pino Jones, Assistant Program Director for Diversity and Inclusion
- Emily Gottenborg, Assistant Program Director, Co-director of the Hospitalist Training Program
- Christine Haynes, Assistant Program Director, Primary Care
Link to the Department of Medicine Home Page