The Genitourinary (GU) Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship at the University of Colorado School of Medicine is a one-year clinical fellowship under the directorship of Brian J. Flynn, MD, Professor of Surgery in the Division of Urology. Dr. Flynn started the fellowship in 2008. The fellowship’s focus is both male and female reconstructive Urology. We are one of the few remaining programs that are committed to training fellows in all aspects of GU reconstruction that includes male and female GU reconstruction. This philosophy originates from “old-school” of reconstruction built by Richard Turner-Warwick, George Webster, and Gerald Jordan.
In 2012, GURS started a match in GU Reconstructive Surgery, and we have participated in the match and have received a letter of good standing each year the GURS match has existed. In 2012, Dr. Ty Higuchi joined the CU reconstructive urology program and brought additional expertise in urethral, penile and neurogenic reconstruction as well as adding transitional urology to the program.
The CU Reconstructive Urology fellowship has been committed to meeting the curriculum standards to a GURS-based curriculum. We consistently perform in the top 50% in the majorityof the index cases. Additionally, the GU reconstructive fellowship overlaps partially with what is now known considered FPMRS/SUFU index cases. The fellows do have some flexibility on case selection based on their own individual experience, interest and future job aspirations.
This clinical fellowship includes a graduated experience focusing on GU reconstruction. This includes pre-operative evaluation, intraoperative management and post-operative care. The fellow will be quite familiar with reconstructive surgery of the ureter, bladder, urethra and penis. The fellow will spend 90% of his/her time functioning as a fellow under the directorship of 2-4 faculty members, spending the majority of time with 2 faculty members. The remaining 10% of his/her time will be spent independently. The fellow will have four of his/her own clinics per month and have the ability to schedule minor cases that come from these clinics. The fellow will have 1-2 days per month of research time. This time is flexible based on the fellow’s research interest and productivity. We will support the fellow’s participation at two national meetings per year to present their research activities.
Year 1: Clinical 2021-2022 (will submit GURS case log)
Year 2: Research 2022-2023
*More information to come (Last updated 1/24/2020)