There are numerous opportunities for the Fellow to participate in clinical and basic-science research. The Division of Vascular Surgery participates in several landmark clinical research trials supported by industry and the National Institutes of Health.
These projects focus on aortic and acute limb pathologies and investigate emerging device technologies and vascular/endovascular techniques.
Our Division participates in the SVS-PSO Vascular Quality Initiative (VQI), a national registry of vascular surgical outcomedata used for both quality and vascular surgical outcomes. Tracked procedures include carotid endarterectomy and stent placement,
infra-inguinal bypass and peripheral vascular interventions, and open and endovascular aortic repairs, along with thoracic aortic/ complex endovascular aneurysm repairs.
The Vascular Surgery faculty also participates in the Surgical Outcomes and Applied Research initiative (SOAR), a collaboration between the Department of Surgery and the Adult and Child Center for Health Outcomes Research and Delivery Science (ACCORDS).
Vascular Surgery utilizes the research services of the Colorado Prevention Center (CPC), an academically led clinical research organization which has responded to the demands of a fast-paced clinical research industry and competitive market for over two
decades. The CPC offers full-service clinical trial design, oversight, and management with rapid access to key opinion leadersin a variety of therapeutic areas. These individuals are on the cutting edge of scientific, clinical and regulatory developments.
Many of CPC's leadership team have chaired and/or served on FDA advisory committees.
The Division of Vascular Surgery also devotes its research efforts to clinical and outcomes research through multidisciplinary collaborations with the Departments of Cardiology, Cardiovascular Surgery, Vascular Medicine, Interventional Radiology, and
Bioengineering. There are numerous opportunities for the vascular surgery fellow and surgical residents to participate in research. With all of the medical sciences concentrated on the Anschutz Medical Campus, collaboration between scientists and
physicians is nearly effortless.
For questions, please contact Trina Smidt, Fellowship Program Coordinator, at (303) 724-9251.
Faculty Peer-reviewed Publication List
- Are Risks Reduced by Delaying Thoracic Endovascular Aneurysm Repair in Patients with Acute Type B Dissection: Who Can Wait? Malgor RD, Verhoeven E, Katsargyris A. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2019 Sep 6. pii: S1078-5884(19)31079-2.
- Rescue of proximal failure of endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair with standard and fenestrated grafts. Marques de Marino P, Malgor RD, Verhoeven EL, Katsargyris A. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 2019 Apr;60(2):159-166.
- Concomitant Staple Aneurysmorrhaphy and Flow-Calibrated Arteriovenous Fistula Banding Over a Coronary Dilator to Treat Hand Steal Syndrome. Baker J, Malgor RD. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2017 Jul;51(5):307-311.
- Perception of Chemical Venous Thromboprophylaxis for Oncologic Lung Resections among Thoracic Surgeons. Malgor RD, Bilfinger TV, Blebea J, Ma H, Arnold SR. Ann Vasc Surg. 2017 Oct;44:299-306.
- Variability in leg compression provided by gradient commercial stockings. Ma H, Blebea J, Malgor RD, Taubman KE. J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2015 Oct;3(4):431-437.
- The Impact of Blunt Thoracic Aortic Injury on Patients Aged 80 Years or Older. Malgor RD, Bilfinger TV, McCormack J, Tassiopoulos AK. Acta Chir Belg. 2015 May-Jun;115(3):208-11.
- Outcomes of endoscopically harvested saphenous vein for lower extremity bypass. Malgor RD, Margolis JS, Montecalvo J, Shahidul I, Hines GL. Acta Chir Belg. 2014 Sep-Oct;114(5):319-23.
- Surgical treatment of varicose veins and venous malformations in Klippel-Trenaunay syndrome. Malgor RD, Gloviczki P, Fahrni J, Kalra M, Duncan AA, Oderich GS, Vrtiska T, Driscoll D. Phlebology. 2016 Apr;31(3):209-15.
- A systematic review of treatment of intermittent claudication in the lower extremities. Malgor RD, Alahdab F, Elraiyah TA, Rizvi AZ, Lane MA, Prokop LJ, Phung OJ, Farah W, Montori VM, Conte MS, Murad MH. J Vasc Surg. 2015 Mar;61(3
- A systematic review for the screening for peripheral arterial disease in asymptomatic patients. Alahdab F, Wang AT, Elraiyah TA, Malgor RD, Rizvi AZ, Lane MA, Prokop LJ, Montori VM, Conte MS, Murad MH. J Vasc Surg. 2015 Mar;61(3 Suppl):42S-53S.
- Stent-Graft Length Is Associated with Decreased Patency in Treatment of Central Venous Stenosis in Hemodialysis Patients. Boutrous ML, Alvarez AC, Okoye OT, Laws JC, Jacobs DL, Smeds MR. Ann Vasc Surg. 2019 Aug;59:225-230
- Massive Hemoptysis From an Aortobronchial Fistula Secondary to BCG-Related Mycotic Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm. Hui DS, Stoeckel DA, Kaufman EE, Jacobs DL. Ann Thorac Surg. 2016 Jan;101(1):350-2
- Stenting of femoropopliteal lesions using interwoven nitinol stents. Brescia AA, Wickers BM, Correa JC, Smeds MR, Jacobs DL. J Vasc Surg. 2015 Jun;61(6):1472-8
- Endovascular repair of a para-anastomotic pseudoaneurysm after renal autotransplantation: an alternative to open reconstruction. Smeds MR, Ofstein R, Peterson GJ, Peterson BG, Jacobs DL. Ann Vasc Surg. 2013 Jan;27(1):110
- Short-term outcomes of the C3 excluder for patients with abdominal aortic aneurysms and unfavorable proximal aortic seal zones. Smeds MR, Jacobs DL, Peterson GJ, Peterson BG. Ann Vasc Surg. 2013 Jan;27(1):8-15.
- Treatment of chronic venous stent occlusion with a Wildcat catheter. Smeds MR, Jacobs DL. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2011 Jul;45(5):453-6
- Commentary on "endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair versus open repair: why and why not?". Jacobs DL, Upchurch GR Jr. Perspect Vasc Surg Endovasc Ther. 2009 Mar;21(1):54-5
- Bedside vena cava filter placement with intravascular ultrasound: a simple, accurate, single venous access method. Jacobs DL, Motaganahalli RL, Peterson BG. J Vasc Surg. 2007 Dec;46(6):1284-6.
- True lumen re-entry devices facilitate subintimal angioplasty and stenting of total chronic occlusions: Initial report. Jacobs DL, Motaganahalli RL, Cox DE, Wittgen CM, Peterson GJ. J Vasc Surg. 2006 Jun;43(6):1291-6.
- Crossing chronic total occlusions of the iliac and femoral-popliteal vessels and the use of true lumen reentry devices. Jacobs DL, Cox DE, Motaganahalli R. Perspect Vasc Surg Endovasc Ther. 2006 Mar;18(1):31-7.
- Current issues and future directions for vascular surgery training from the results of the 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 Association of Program Directors in Vascular Surgery annual training survey. Hekman KE, Wohlauer MV, Magee GA, Shokrzadeh
CL, Brown KR, Carsten CG 3rd, Chaer R, Jazaeri O, Lee AM, Singh N, Coleman DM. J Vasc Surg. 2019 May 27. pii: S0741-5214(19)30495-1.
- Evolving Trends in Insurance Coverage of Vascular Surgery Patients in Academic Practice. Dua A, Rothenberg K, Srivastava G, Brown K, Lewis B, Rossi P, Seabrook G, Malinowski M, Wohlauer M, Lee CJ. Ann Vasc Surg. 2019 May;57:170-173.
- Diagnostic workup and endovascular treatment of popliteal artery trauma. Lee CJ, Loo R, Wohlauer MV, Patel PJ. Vasa. 2019 Jan;48(1):65-71
- Preoperative Hypoalbuminemia is a Risk Factor for Early and Late Mortality in Patients Undergoing Endovascular Juxtarenal and Thoracoabdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair. Wohlauer M, Brier C, Kuramochi Y, Eagleton M. Ann Vasc Surg. 2017
- Goal-directed Hemostatic Resuscitation of Trauma-induced Coagulopathy: A Pragmatic Randomized Clinical Trial Comparing a Viscoelastic Assay to Conventional Coagulation Assays. Gonzalez E, Moore EE, Moore HB, Chapman MP, Chin TL, Ghasabyan A, Wohlauer MV,
Barnett CC, Bensard DD, Biffl WL, Burlew CC, Johnson JL, Pieracci FM, Jurkovich GJ, Banerjee A, Silliman CC, Sauaia A. Ann Surg. 2016 Jun;263(6):1051-9
- Postradiation Extraskeletal Osteosarcoma Masquerading as an Axillary Artery Pseudoaneurysm. Wohlauer M, McKenney JK, Park WM. Ann Vasc Surg. 2016 Jan;30:157
- A "CLEAN CASE" OF SYSTEMIC INJURY: MESENTERIC LYMPH AFTER HEMORRHAGIC SHOCK ELICITS A STERILE INFLAMMATORY RESPONSE. Yi J, Slaughter A, Kotter CV, Moore EE, Hauser CJ, Itagaki K, Wohlauer M, Frank DN, Silliman C,
Banerjee A, Peltz E. Shock. 2015 Oct;44(4):336-40
- α-Enolase Causes Proinflammatory Activation of Pulmonary Microvascular Endothelial Cells and Primes Neutrophils Through Plasmin Activation of Protease-Activated Receptor 2. Bock A, Tucker N, Kelher MR, Khan SY, Gonzalez E, Wohlauer M, Hansen
K, Dzieciatkowska M, Sauaia A, Banerjee A, Moore EE, Silliman CC. Shock. 2015 Aug;44(2):137-42
- A primary retroperitoneal mucinous tumor. Heelan Gladden AA, Wohlauer M, McManus MC, Gajdos C. Case Rep Surg. 2015;2015:157613
- Lymph is not a plasma ultrafiltrate: a proteomic analysis of injured patients. Dzieciatkowska M, D'Alessandro A, Moore EE, Wohlauer M, Banerjee A, Silliman CC, Hansen KC. Shock. 2014 Dec;42(6):485-498
- The Vascular Quality Initiative 30-day stroke/death risk score calculator after transfemoral carotid artery stenting. Dakour-Aridi H, Faateh M, Kuo PL, Zarkowsky DS, Beck A, Malas MB. J Vasc Surg. 2019 Sep 13 [Epub ahead of print]
- A multi-institutional experience in vascular Ehlers-Danlos syndrome diagnosis. Shalhub S, Byers PH, Hicks KL, Coleman DM, Davis FM, De Caridi G, Weaver KN, Miller EM, Schermerhorn ML, Shean K, Oderich G, Ribeiro M, Nishikawa C, Charlton-Ouw K, Behrendt
CA, Debus ES, von Kodolitsch Y, Zarkowsky D, Powell RJ, Pepin M, Milewicz DM, Regalado ES, Lawrence PF, Woo K. J Vasc Surg. 2019 Jul 25. [Epub ahead of print]
- Elective infrainguinal lower extremity bypass for claudication is associated with high postoperative intensive care utilization. Alshaikh HN, Hicks CW, DiBrito SR, Zarkowsky DS, Siracuse JJ, Malas MB. J Vasc Surg. 2019 Jun;69(6):1863-1873.
- A multi-institutional experience in the aortic and arterial pathology in individuals with genetically confirmed vascular Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. Shalhub S, Byers PH, Hicks KL, Charlton-Ouw K, Zarkowsky D, Coleman DM, Davis FM, Regalado ES, De Caridi
G, Weaver KN, Miller EM, Schermerhorn ML, Shean K, Oderich G, Ribeiro M, Nishikawa C, Behrendt CA, Debus ES, von Kodolitsch Y, Powell RJ, Pepin M, Milewicz DM, Lawrence PF, Woo K. J Vasc Surg. 2019 May 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- Predictors of in-hospital adverse events after endovascular aortic aneurysm repair. Nejim B, Zarkowsky D, Hicks CW, Locham S, Dakour Aridi H, Malas MB. J Vasc Surg. 2019 Jul;70(1):80-91. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2018.10.093. Epub 2019 Feb 15.
- Extending endovascular aneurysm repair to more patients without better outcomes. Zarkowsky DS, Hicks CW, Bostock IC, Malas MB, Goodney PP. J Vasc Surg. 2019 May;69(5):1412-1420.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2018.08.170. Epub 2018 Nov 26.
- Management of aortic injury during minimally invasive lateral lumbar interbody fusion. Safaee MM, Zarkowsky D, Eichler CM, Pekmezci M, Clark AJ. Eur Spine J. 2018 Jul;27(Suppl 3):538-543. doi: 10.1007/s00586-018-5620-2. Epub 2018 May 7.
- Outcomes and Risk Factors Associated with Prolonged Intubation after EVAR. Bostock IC, Zarkowsky DS, Hicks CW, Stone DH, Malas MB, Goodney PP. Ann Vasc Surg. 2018 Jul;50:167-172. doi: 10.1016/j.avsg.2017.11.063. Epub 2018 Feb 23.
- Progression in a Patient With Previously Treated Atherosclerotic Disease. Wang S, Zarkowsky DS, Eichler CM. JAMA Surg. 2018 Apr 1;153(4):380-381. doi: 10.1001/jamasurg.2017.6097. No abstract available.
- Intensive care unit admission after endovascular aortic aneurysm repair is primarily determined by hospital factors, adds significant cost, and is often unnecessary. Hicks CW, Alshaikh HN, Zarkowsky D, Bostock IC, Nejim B, Malas MB. J Vasc Surg. 2018
- Malgor RD, Labropoulos N. Evaluation of Chronic Venous Obstruction with Duplex Ultrasound. In: Rick de Graaf (Ed.). Endovascular treatment of deep venous obstructions (in press).
- Malgor RD, Labropoulos N. Pelvic Congestion Syndrome and Ovarian Vein Thrombosis: Natural History and Treatment outcomes. In: James S.T. Yao, William H. Pearce, Mark Eskandari, Mark Morasch (Eds.). Contemporary Vascular
Surgery. People's Medical Publishing House (PMPH-USA), 2018. Chicago, US: inpress
- inpress. In: James S.T. Yao, William H. Pearce, Mark Eskandari, Mark Morasch (Eds.). Contemporary Vascular Surgery. People's Medical Publishing House (PMPH-USA), 2018. Chicago, US: Transcarotid artery stenting, Shah RM. Malgor RD
- Malgor RD, Labropoulos N. Venous Pathophysiology. In: Jose I Almeida. (Ed). Atlas of Endovascular Venous Surgery. 2nd ed. Elsevier: 2017, in press
- Malgor RD, Gasparis A, Labropoulos N. Postthrombotic Syndrome. In: Jose I Almeida. (Ed). Atlas of Endovascular Venous Surgery. 2nd ed. Elsevier: 2017, in press
- Malgor RD, Labropoulos N. Duplex ultrasound scanning for chronic venous obstruction and valvular incompetence. Handbook of Venous and Lymphatic Disorders: Guidelines of the American Venous Forum, Fourth Edition, chapter
13. (in press).
- Malgor RD, Oderich GS. Diagnosis and treatment of internal iliac artery aneurysms. In: Upchurh G, Henke P. Clinical Scenarios in Vascular Surgery, 2nd ed, Chapter 50. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2015.
- Malgor RD, Gasparis AP. Endovascular treatment of acute iliofemoral deep vein thrombosis. In: Upchurh G, Henke P. Clinical Scenarios in Vascular Surgery, 2nd ed, Chapter 106. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2015.
- Oderich GS, Malgor RD, de Souza LR. Thoracoabdominal Aortic Aneurysm. In: Armando de Carvalho Lobato. (Ed). Cirurgia Endovascular. 3 ed. São Paulo, Brazil: ICVE, 2015.
- Malgor RD, Labropoulos N. Ultrasonography for the Diagnosis of Venous Disease. In: Stanley J, Veith F, Wakefield T (Eds). Current Therapy in Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, 5th ed, Chapter 275, p. 867-869. Elsevier,