Movement Deficits Following Concussion
- Howell DR, Osternig LR, Chou L-S. Return to activity after concussion affects dual-task gait balance control recovery. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 2015;47(4):673-680. doi:10.1249/MSS.0000000000000462
- Howell DR, O’Brien MJ, Raghuram A, Shah A, Meehan WP. Near Point of Convergence and Gait Deficits in Adolescents Following Sport-Related Concussion. Clin J Sport Med. 2018;28(3):262-267. doi:10.1097/JSM.0000000000000439
- Howell DR, Lugade V, Potter MN, Walker G, Wilson JC. A multifaceted and clinically viable paradigm to quantify postural control impairments among adolescents with concussion. Physiological Measurement. Published online 2019.
- Van Deventer KA, Seehusen CN, Walker GA, Wilson JC, Howell DR. The diagnostic and prognostic utility of the dual-task tandem gait test for pediatric concussion. Journal of Sport and Health Science. Published online August 12, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.jshs.2020.08.005
- Howell DR, Bonnette S, Diekfuss JA, Grooms DR, Myer GD, Meehan WP. Youth With Concussion Have Less Adaptable Gait Patterns Than Their Uninjured Peers: Implications for Concussion Management. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. Published online May 22, 2020:1-24. doi:10.2519/jospt.2020.9133
Musculoskeletal Injury Risk after Concussion
- Howell DR, Buckley TA, Lynall RC, Meehan III WP. Worsening dual-task gait costs after concussion and their association with subsequent sport-related injury. Journal of Neurotrauma. 2018;35(14):1630-1636.
- Howell DR, Lynall RC, Buckley TA, Herman DC. Neuromuscular control deficits and the risk of subsequent injury after a concussion: a scoping review. Sports Med. 2018;48(5):1097-1115. doi:10.1007/s40279-018-0871-y
- Oldham JR, Howell DR, Knight CA, Crenshaw JR, Buckley TA. Gait Performance is Associated with Subsequent Lower Extremity Injury following Concussion. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 2020;Publish Ahead of Print. doi:10.1249/MSS.0000000000002385
Brain – Behavior Interrelationships after Concussion
- Charney MF, Howell DR, Lanois C, et al. Associations between neurochemistry and gait performance following concussion in collegiate athletes. J Head Trauma Rehabil. Published online 2020.
- Howell DR, Zemek R, Brilliant AN, Mannix RC, Master CL, Meehan WP. Identifying Persistent Postconcussion Symptom Risk in a Pediatric Sports Medicine Clinic. Am J Sports Med. 2018;46(13):3254-3261. doi:10.1177/0363546518796830
- Howell DR, Potter MN, Kirkwood MW, Wilson PE, Provance AJ, Wilson JC. Clinical predictors of symptom resolution for children and adolescents with sport-related concussion. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics. Published online 2019.
- Howell DR, O’Brien MJ, Beasley MA, Mannix RC, Meehan WP. Initial somatic symptoms are associated with prolonged symptom duration following concussion in adolescents. Acta Paediatr. 2016;105(9):e426-432. doi:10.1111/apa.13486
- Howell DR, Mayer AR, Master CL, et al. Prognosis for Persistent Post Concussion Symptoms using a Multifaceted Objective Gait and Balance Assessment Approach. Gait & Posture. Published online April 20, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.gaitpost.2020.04.013
- Mannix R, Levy R, Zemek R, et al. Fluid Biomarkers of Pediatric Mild Traumatic Brain Injury: A Systematic Review. J Neurotrauma. Published online April 17, 2020. doi:10.1089/neu.2019.6956
- Howell DR, Brilliant AN, Oldham JR, Berkstresser B, Wang F, Meehan WP. Exercise in the first week following concussion among collegiate athletes: Preliminary findings. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 2020;23(2):112-117. doi:10.1016/j.jsams.2019.08.294
- Howell DR, Andrew Taylor J, Tan CO, Orr R, Meehan WP. The Role of Aerobic Exercise in Reducing Persistent Sport-related Concussion Symptoms. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2019;51(4):613-619. doi:10.1249/MSS.0000000000001829
Differences between Boys and Girls after Concussion
- Gray M, Wilson JC, Potter M, Provance AJ, Howell DR. Female adolescents demonstrate greater oculomotor and vestibular dysfunction than male adolescents following concussion. Phys Ther Sport. 2020;42:68-74. doi:10.1016/j.ptsp.2020.01.001
- Howell DR, Oldham JR, Lanois C, et al. Dual-task gait recovery after concussion among female and male collegiate athletes. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. Published online January 24, 2020.
- Howell DR, Stracciolini A, Geminiani E, Meehan III WP. Dual-task gait differences in female and male adolescents following sport-related concussion. Gait & Posture. 2017;54:284-289. doi:10.1016/j.gaitpost.2017.03.034
Sleep Problems after Concussion
- Howell DR, Oldham JR, Brilliant AN, William P. Meehan III. Trouble Falling Asleep After Concussion Is Associated With Higher Symptom Burden Among Children and Adolescents: Journal of Child Neurology. 2019;34(5):256-261. doi:10.1177/0883073818824000
- Howell DR, Berkstresser B, Wang F, et al. Self-reported sleep duration affects tandem gait, but not steady-state gait outcomes among healthy collegiate athletes. Gait & Posture. 2018;62:291-296. doi:10.1016/j.gaitpost.2018.03.038
- Potter MN, Howell DR, Dahab KS, Sweeney EA, Albright JC, Provance AJ. Sleep Quality and Quality of Life Among Healthy High School Athletes. Clin Pediatr (Phila). Published online December 6, 2019:9922819892050. doi:10.1177/0009922819892050
Neck Dysfunction and Pain after Concussion
- Provance AJ, Howell DR, Potter MN, Wilson PE, D’Lauro AM, Wilson JC. Presence of Neck or Shoulder Pain Following Sport-Related Concussion Negatively Influences Recovery. J Child Neurol. 2020;35(7):456-462. doi:10.1177/0883073820909046