This symposium is intended for physicians and allied health professionals who are involved in the care of extreme athletes. Anyone interested in expanding their knowledge of common extreme athletic injuries is welcome to attend. The objective of this course is to educate participants on the best methods of managing extreme athletes physically and psychologically. According to the education levels described by the PDC, the following continuing education course is considered to be Advanced Level. This course is led by Omer Mei-Dan, MD, at the CU School of Medicine Department of Orthopedics, Division of Sports Medicine.
At the conclusion of this conference, attendees will be able to:
- Implement appropriately paced treatment and rehabilitation into an athlete's plan of care
- Develop treatment strategies that optimize outcomes for injured extreme athletes to include psychological and behavioral considerations
- Identify the extreme athlete's unique perspective regarding risk perception and include measurable parameters to integrate the athlete's participation in the plan of care
- Analyze behavior characteristics and injury presentation of extreme athletes and facilitate integration of a multi-specialty practitioner approach to address all concerns as needed
- Recognize differences between adult men and women versus youth extreme sports participants, and develop specialized injury management.
The University of Colorado School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Colorado School of Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 12.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in this activity.
University of Colorado Sports Medicine (BOC AP# P3598) is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to provide continuing education to Athletic Trainers. This program is eligible for a maximum of 12.75 EBP Category hours/CEUs. ATs should claim only those hours actually spent in the educational program.
This course meets the Physical Therapy Board Standards for Continuing Education Activities through the Colorado DORA.