International Medical Graduates

Frequently Asked Questions:

What types of visas do you sponsor?

Residents in our program must be a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., a refugee or asylee, or possess the appropriate documentation to allow the Resident to legally train at the University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine. We sponsor both J1 and H1b visas.  The type of visa sponsored will be determined in consultation with our International Student and Scholar Services.  They assess your current visa status, where you are in the process and the type of visa you will need to have.  


You must take USMLE Step3 by the time you submit your rank list if applying for an H1b visa.  Your results should then be available by the time the match occurs.  The exception is if you have the option to be on an F1 OPT visa for your first year.  If you do not take your USMLE Step3 by January, it is unlikely that you will be able to start your training on time.

Is US Clinical experience required for international graduates?

We require a minimum of one month clinical experience in a U.S. healthcare system. We do not count observerships or research as clinical experience.​ 

Are there any special requirements for international medical graduates? 

International Medical Graduates are required to be ECFMG certified at the time of application or far enough along in the application process that you will receive certification no later than February 1 of the year in which you plan to match.​

You must have graduated from medical school no earlier than 2019 to be eligible to apply for our residency program. 

My school doesn't have a chairman. What do I submit instead of a chairman's letter? 

You will need to get a letter of recommendation from a senior faculty member of medicine in replacement of a chairman's letter of recommendation.