Are you a student who is pursuing a degree in exercise science or a related field and is interested in working with special populations?
The BfitBwell Cancer Exercise program at Anschutz Health & Wellness Center is looking for interns pursuing a degree in Health and Exercise Science field. Our program works in collaboration with the University of Colorado Cancer Center, the University of Colorado Hospital, and the Anschutz Health and Wellness Center to provide personalized exercise training for patients with cancer in order to improve overall health, survivorship, and quality of life. This group of individuals will truly change your life!
Interns will work with Certified Cancer Exercise Specialists to:
• Design and execute personalized exercise prescriptions.
• Lead group exercise classes (including pool-based classes).
• Complete standardized fitness assessments such as estimated VO2 peak, Sit & Reach, grip strength, sit
to stand, estimated 1-RM.
• Collect & compile data to be used in research demonstrating the effects of exercise for individuals with
Interns will also be expected to:
• Develop an understanding of different types/classifications of cancer, treatment, and care.
• Research and become familiar with the effects of various cancer treatment protocols.
• Assist fitness staff with day-to-day tasks such as cleaning & maintaining the center’s equipment.
• Be proactive, task orientated, efficient in time management, and open and eager to learn!
Interns may also have the opportunity to:
• Work with a staff researcher on studies illustrating the program’s effectiveness.
• Attend relevant lectures/conferences on the Anschutz Medical Campus.
• Explore and/or interact with other programs on campus that provide exercise-science based services.
Qualified candidates for the internship will be:
• Pursuing a degree in an exercise science-related field.
• Proficient in a broad range of techniques used in exercise assessment (e.g. sphygmomanometer use,
treadmill testing, circumference measurements, etc).
• Interested in working with clients with a broad range of needs and limitations.
• Confident, personable and empathetic, self-motivated, and emotionally mature.
Preferred candidates for the internship will:
• Have past experience training individuals in a gym setting
• Have an ACSM/NASM/ACE certification or currently pursuing
Spring: October 1
Summer: March 1
Fall: May 15
*Early applicants will be given priority
To apply: Send your resume and cover letter to Nicole Gleason, BfitBwell Program Manager at Nicole.Gleason@cuanschutz.edu or call (970) 219-0496