The primary clinical site for the fellowship is Children’s Hospital Colorado (CHCO), a 553-bed tertiary care children’s hospital located at the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora, Colorado. CHCO has a level IV NICU and is the only level 1 pediatric trauma center in Colorado. With four hospitals, 16 network of care locations and more than 500 outreach clinics in over 29 cities, the CHCO network serves the children of Colorado and surrounding regions. We
are consistently ranked within the top 10 children’s hospitals nationally by U.S.
News & World Report and we are a leader in the Rocky
Mountain Region. In addition to rotating on our main campus, fellows will
complete rotations in our ambulatory surgical centers.
Approximately 35,000 anesthetics are administered annually to children of all ages and severity of illness. A wide range of neonatal and pediatric surgical procedures are performed in all surgical subspecialties, including:
- Complex cardiovascular surgery
- Complex neurosurgery
- Craniofacial reconstruction
- Surgical procedures on ECMO
- Organ transplantation (heart, liver, kidney, bone marrow)
- Major orthopedic surgery including scoliosis repair
- Simple and complex ENT surgery including laryngotracheal reconstruction
- Fetal interventions, including minimally invasive fetal interventions, open mid-gestation fetal surgeries, and EXIT procedures.
- Pediatric Anesthesia (7 months) – Includes experience in the main operating room, non-OR locations (diagnostic and interventional radiology, procedure center, and NICU bedside), ambulatory surgical centers, and the PACU
(8 weeks) – Includes experience in the cardiovascular operating room and cardiac
- Acute and Chronic Pain Service (5 weeks)
- Pediatric Critical Care Medicine (4 weeks) – PICU and NICU
- Supervising Rotation
- Electives (2 weeks)